[linux-lvm] mirroring boot and root

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Jun 3 12:31:22 UTC 2001

On Saturday 02 June 2001 17:21, evan.day at home.com wrote:
> LILO 21.7 contains support for placing a boot sector on RAID devices.  I
> used install-mbr to put a boot MBR on sda and sdb, then lilo to put a
> LILO boot sector on /dev/md0, which is sda1 and sdb1.  The rest of my
> system is built on PV /dev/md1, which is sda4 and sdb4.

I tried the booting from RAID-1 thing on one of my IDE systems.  It seems
impossible with the current LILO because it writes different boot data to
each drive, so if the first drive is removed the other drive becomes BIOS
device 0x80 and won't boot because LILO expects 0x81.

The next version of LILO may address this...