[linux-lvm] Migrating to an LVM system (boot/root) disk

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Mon Jun 4 17:37:32 UTC 2001

Brian, you write:
> It's not so much the boot sector I am worried about.  What concerns me
> is that when I set up my new disk (on /dev/hdc1) with LVM, LVM is
> associating the device /dev/hdc1 with the PV.  What happens to that
> association when I move the disk to the primary ide bus and it becomes
> /dev/hda1?

If you run a vgscan within initrd (and also after you have moved to the
new disk), then LVM will know that the disk has moved.  Not a problem.

> > I put a (non-LVM) rescue boot partition on my disk which has basically
> > everything from /bin, /sbin, and some /lib/lib*, /lib/modules/<kernel>.
>
> Everything that is needed for LVM you mean or do you mean you copied
> everything from your root filesystem?  If the latter, would that not
> be overkill?

Not necessarily everything.  It is about 50MB or so, but it is a fully
usable environment which allows me to fix problems.  I need this on
occasion because I do a lot of development on that system and run into
bad kernels, unmountable root filesystems, etc. on occasion.

> But I like the idea.  I was thinking it was time to move on from
> emergency boot diskette(s) to a boot CD-ROM.

The nice thing about an emergency boot partition is that you always have
it handy - no chance of losing this one.

Cheers, Andreas