[linux-lvm] Re: pvmove failure ...

Timshel Knoll timshel at pobox.com
Sat Jun 9 01:13:03 UTC 2001

[please CC all replies to me, I don't read mail from this list]

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 10:48:22AM +1000, Timshel Knoll wrote:
> [please CC all replies to me, I don't read mail from this list]
>
> > The ENXIO error is returned if the vg you are trying to move does not
> > exist (at least that's what it looks like).  This is returned from
> > within the kernel when vg_ptr = NULL inside lvm_do_pe_lock_unlock().
> >
> > It would _appear_ that /dev/vg0/group is pointing to a bogus device.
> > In lvm_chr_open() you are allowed to open non-existent devices (so
> > that you can create new devices if desired).
> >
> >When was the last time you ran vgscan and/or rebooted?  Did you do anything
> >strange in the meantime?
>
> I had just rebooted before I ran pvmove. The vg0 vg is definately a
> valid vg ... I think I ran vgscan during the process of trying to get it
> all to work, and nothing strange came up ...
>
> I'll be away for the next couple of days, so I won't be recieving email
> during that time ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Timshel

Ahh .... might help if the volume was actually active :-)

I kind of assumed that the volume would have to be inactive to move
physical extents ... you'll notice that I did a `vgchange -a n vg0' in
the script - I just moved my /var logical volume with no problems.

Maybe you want to document this a bit better ;-) I didn't notice
anything saying that the volume has to be active on the pvmove manpage

Thanks for your help,

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel at pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel at debian.org>
                Geomatics/Computer Science double degree, RMIT
                For GnuPG public key: finger timshel at debian.org