[linux-lvm] RE: emails

AJ Lewis lewis at sistina.com
Mon Mar 12 23:24:33 UTC 2001

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 04:02:16PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> I don't have problems with AJ's emails (or any other PGP signed messages
> for that matter), even though I currently don't actually do PGP myself.
> However, the post in question just appeared as empty in my mailer (elm).
> The entire body was in an attachment "smime.p7m" which I had to save to
> disk to look at.  For that matter, it was poorly sent (IMHO) twice as
> an uncompressed 25k line email.  Luckily I have a fast net connection.
> I'm also not about to get a new email program...

Ah...my bad...forgot about that one.  Sorry for going off.  Yeah, that's
odd.  It basically appeared as a one-liner for me in mutt.  I could open it
from mutt, but yeah, it was odd.  This is the first time I've seen this
though...stupid M$ LookOUT!

> Maybe we should put a size cap on emails sent to linux-lvm?  This will
> encourage people to use bugzilla.  Also, most of the large patches go to
> lvm-devel (mine at least).  If possible, the "rejection" email for large
> emails should mention the bugzilla web page URL for convenience.

That might make sense.  Can we assume everyone has access to a browser and
will be willing to use if for bug reports?  I know it makes it a lot easier
for us as developers to track the bugs if they are reported there, but I'm
not sure that everyone is willing to do so.   Plus, many times people send
bug reports from the console during the LVM install process, and so may not
have easy access to a browser.  I know Heinz initially had some concern about
limiting file size on the list, so we'll have to get his opinion on this.

Regards,
--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc.                  Voice:  612-379-3951
Minneapolis, MN 55414                  E-Mail: lewis at sistina.com
http://www.sistina.com

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B  52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
 (Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)

-----Begin Obligatory Humorous Quote----------------------------------------
I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use
than eating soup with a knife.