[linux-lvm] RE: emails

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Mon Mar 12 23:02:16 UTC 2001

Eric Hopper writes:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:53:03AM +1300, Jones, Steven wrote:
> > note someone just sent me a "secure" email via this group such that i
> > had to click on it to open it, I binned it immediately.
> >
> > I would appreciate it if all posts are plain text, I cannot fathom why
> > any more is needed.
>
> 	If you mailer can't properly represent the SMIME standard,
> that's your problem.  I would suggest you find another one.  It's a well
> published spec, and email really does need to be more secure.
> Cryptographically signing every message is an excellent way to help
> accomplish this.
>
> 	If you throw away every signed message, you'll be missing about
> 10% of the content of this list, and some of the better and more
> informative posts.  Most notably, all of AJ Lewis's messages are signed.

I don't have problems with AJ's emails (or any other PGP signed messages
for that matter), even though I currently don't actually do PGP myself.
However, the post in question just appeared as empty in my mailer (elm).
The entire body was in an attachment "smime.p7m" which I had to save to
disk to look at.  For that matter, it was poorly sent (IMHO) twice as
an uncompressed 25k line email.  Luckily I have a fast net connection.
I'm also not about to get a new email program...

Maybe we should put a size cap on emails sent to linux-lvm?  This will
encourage people to use bugzilla.  Also, most of the large patches go to
lvm-devel (mine at least).  If possible, the "rejection" email for large
emails should mention the bugzilla web page URL for convenience.

Cheers, Andreas