[linux-lvm] Converting my Root file system to LVM

Rupert Heesom raheesom at navpoint.com
Tue May 22 16:02:03 UTC 2001

I've been practicing LVM techniques on a spare 2nd disk which I'm adding
to my root file system using LVM.  I think I've got the hang of how LVs,
PVs, and VGs work.

I've followed the lvm-howto on how to create a root filesystem.

I've created a partition on the 2nd disk (/dev/sdb1), converted it to a
PV.

I've created a VG (/dev/vg) & LV (/dev/vg/root) on that disk.

I've copied the contents of my non-LVM root partition over to the LV -
(find / -xdev | cpio -pvmd /mnt/tmp)

I've moved /etc/lilo.conf to my /boot partition, and created a symlink
to /boot/lilo.conf in /etc.

I've created an initial RAMdisk on /boot -  (/boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.3.gz).
I created one RAM disk initially to see how it worked, then ran the
"lvmcreate_initrd" again once my LVol was created (and the files copied
across).

I've altered my lilo.conf to look like - .....

[rupert at localhost rupert]$cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=linux-2_4
message=/boot/message

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
	label=linux-2_2
	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16-22.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/sda5
	append="mem=384M"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3
	label=linux-2_4
	read-only
	root=/dev/sda5
	append="mem=384M"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3
	initrd=/boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.3.gz
	root=/dev/vg/root
	label=lvm
	append="mem=384M ramdisk_size=8192"

#image=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
#	label=linux_test
#	read-only
#	root=/dev/sda5
#	append="mem=384M"

...... And I've run lilo of course.

Now, when I boot up into the LVM partition, I get the following error
msgs -

lvm - Module successfully initialised.
/sbin/vgscan: sed: command not found.
/sbin/vgscan: /lib/lvm-iop10/: is a directory
/sbin/vgscan: exec: /lib/lvm-iop10/: cannot execute:  permission denied.

/sbin/vgchange:  <same msgs>

Obviously the kernel can't find the LVM tools.  Would these not be
included in the lvm initrd?  If they are, and the kernel still can't
find them, what do I change so that the kernel CAN find the LVM tools?

Tnx for any help.

I'M NEARLY THERE!!

--
regs