[linux-lvm] Help on LVM/SW-RAID build problems

BOIK MOON mooasun at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 22:29:02 UTC 2001

 Hi,
> >Is it OK to use the partition type "0x8e" for
>>LVM/SW-RAID? How about "0xfd"?
>>
>you can not create LVM/SW-RAID
>you can make LVM over SW-RAID or SW-RAID over LVM
Why am I getting an error on the partition when I use 0x8e as type?
Yes, I did not have any error when I used 0xfd as partition type.
To make SW-RAID over LVM, Should I create the partition using 0x8e(LVM) type?
Thanks for your kind answer
Bo
  svetljo <galia at st-peter.stw.uni-erlangen.de> wrote: Hi
you shouldn't change the softRAID partition id to lvm
you had to create the lvm over the RAID

>1) fdisk error
>
>Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2434 cylinders
>Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id
>System
>/dev/hdb1 1 64 514048+ 8e
>Linux LVM
>/dev/hdb2 65 702 5124735 8e
>Linux LVM
>/dev/hdb3 703 1340 5124735 8e
>Linux LVM

you have destroyed the RAID

>Command (m for help): w
>The partition table has been altered!
>

>2) No such file error

you have no the raid devices hdb[1-3]

>root at bo:~ > raidstop --all
>cannot determine md version: No such file or directory
>
>kingate at bo:~ > /sbin/mkraid
>cannot determine md version: No such file or directory
>
>kingate at bo:~ > /sbin/mkraid --really-force /dev/md1
>cannot determine md version: No such file or directory
>
>3) Partiton type
>
> Is it OK to use the partition type "0x8e" for
>LVM/SW-RAID? How about "0xfd"?

you can not create LVM/SW-RAID
you can make LVM over SW-RAID or SW-RAID over LVM

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bo
>
>-----------------raidtab------------
>raiddev /dev/md0
> raid-level 0
> nr-raid-disks 2
> nr-spare-disks 0
> chunk-size 4
> persistent-superblock 1
> device /dev/hdb1
> raid-disk 0
> device /dev/hdc1
> raid-disk 1
>
>raiddev /dev/md1
> raid-level 1
> nr-raid-disks 2
> nr-spare-disks 0
> chunk-size 4
> persistent-superblock 1
> device /dev/hdb2
> raid-disk 0
> device /dev/hdc2
> raid-disk 1
>
>raiddev /dev/md2
> raid-level 1
> nr-raid-disks 2
> nr-spare-disks 0
> chunk-size 4
> persistent-superblock 1
> device /dev/hdb3
> raid-disk 0
> device /dev/hdc3
> raid-disk 1

that is OK
but /dev/hda[1-3] and /dev/hdb[1-3] should be SW-RAID ( partition id)

and then
pvcreate /dev/md0 /dev/md1 /dev/md2
vgcreate

good luck