[linux-lvm] Help on LVM/SW-RAID build problems

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Tue Nov 13 07:09:02 UTC 2001

BOIK MOON wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  > >Is it OK to use the partition type "0x8e" for
>  >>LVM/SW-RAID? How about "0xfd"?
>  >>
>  >you can not create LVM/SW-RAID
>  >you can make LVM over SW-RAID or SW-RAID over LVM
>
> Why am I getting an error on the partition when I use 0x8e as type?

Because you can not RAID and LVM on the same device at the same time.  You CAN use your physical partitions (/dev/hd*# or sd*#) to create a RAID device and THEN use create LVM on top of the RAID device (/dev/md#).

> Yes, I did not have any error when I used 0xfd as partition type.
>
> To make SW-RAID over LVM, Should I create the partition using 0x8e(LVM)
> type?

If you mean the same partition you used when creating the RAID, then NO.

as for the "cannot determine md version: No such file or directory"

You don't have "md" (RAID) support in the kernel.  Configure your kernel for md devices (or, if it is not a boot device, make them as modules)

after you do your mkraid, then pvcreate the /dev/md# and you can use it for lvm (no need to set any partition type on md0).

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith