[linux-lvm] Root + Software RAID 1 in partition + LVM + Reiserfs

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Thu Oct 4 18:06:44 UTC 2001

On Oct 04, 2001  16:51 +0200, yves.alloyer wrote:
> I wanted that, because I wanted to mirror my most precious filesystems. Then
> again I did not want to waste that space for swap /tmp and other not so
> vital stuff.

Are you looking for system uptime or data protection?  If you want uptime,
you still need to mirror swap and /tmp.  If you want data protection, you
should do backups, because there is nothing preventing you from deleting
your files accidentally (or kernel/fs corruption) and the RAID making a
perfect copy of the missing/bad files.

> pvcreate /dev/md1 complained about using a Linux SWAP partition

Did you change the partition type with fdisk to be the LVM partition type?
Hmm, I suppose that if you are using MD RAID autostart, you need to have
that partition type instead.

> I tweaked lvm_check_partitioned_device to have it return FALSE for MD
> devices. This would probably prevent me from partitioning any MD device. But
> I won't anyway... that's what I use LVM for.

I don't think you CAN partition an MD device and use it (what would the minor
numbers be?).  Please submit the patch.

> Has anyone experience with that kind of layout? Is it just plain insane?

No, sounds sensible to me.  Make sure you have a rescue disk/partition which
has MD, LVM, and reiserfs tools on it.

Cheers, Andreas