[linux-lvm] Root + Software RAID 1 in partition + LVM + Reiserfs

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Thu Oct 4 18:28:47 UTC 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:06:44PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Oct 04, 2001  16:51 +0200, yves.alloyer wrote:
> > pvcreate /dev/md1 complained about using a Linux SWAP partition
strange post output of lvmdiskscan

> Did you change the partition type with fdisk to be the LVM partition type?
> Hmm, I suppose that if you are using MD RAID autostart, you need to have
> that partition type instead.
yes lvm code looks for either lvm partition or md device.

> > I tweaked lvm_check_partitioned_device to have it return FALSE for MD
> > devices. This would probably prevent me from partitioning any MD device. But
> > I won't anyway... that's what I use LVM for.
this should not be needed, i'll have to check that code...

> I don't think you CAN partition an MD device and use it (what would the minor
> numbers be?).  Please submit the patch.
if you look on Neil Brown (md maintainer) site you will find patches to
partition md devices
http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux

> > Has anyone experience with that kind of layout? Is it just plain insane?
>
> No, sounds sensible to me.  Make sure you have a rescue disk/partition which
> has MD, LVM, and reiserfs tools on it.

i was able to put everything in my initrd using busybox for most tools
(i have lvm over raid5 and 3 way mirrored /boot)

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\