[linux-lvm] help with quota and LVM

Ben Snyder ben at jumpline.com
Thu Aug 8 14:24:01 UTC 2002

I'm running RedHat6.2 with kernel 2.2.19 and LVM 1.0.4 on ext2 file systems

I'm having problems with quota and LVM.

I can mount 2 different filesystems:
    one is a plane-jane ext2 run-o-da-mill old-fashioned /dev/sda5 mount
to /data FS
    the other is a logical volume /dev/vg/lv /data2

The data on them is identical, thanks to my friend rsync.

The problem is that I cannot get quotas to work on the logical volume
(it *is* mounted with usrquota - I'm not that dumb).  I run 'edquota
ben', make my changes and save it and all is happy.  Then I run 'edquota
ben' again and the data is still there.  However, whenever I run 'quota
ben' I only get info for the non-lvm filesystem.  If the non-lvm FS is
not mounted, then I get 'none'.

I know quotas work on my system, they work on all of the other
filesystems.  Is there something I'm missing about quota and LVM?  I
*NEED* this to work, and help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for feedback/replies/remarks/insults.