[linux-lvm] help with quota and LVM

José Luis Domingo López linux-lvm at 24x7linux.com
Thu Aug 8 17:59:01 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 08 August 2002, at 15:24:40 -0400,
Ben Snyder wrote:

> I'm running RedHat6.2 with kernel 2.2.19 and LVM 1.0.4 on ext2 file systems
> I'm having problems with quota and LVM.

As far as I know filesystem quotas have only something to do with
filesystem: it is independent of the underlaying block device (hard disk
partition, or a LVM LV in your setup).

I remember having set up a LV (LVM version 1.0.4 if I recall correctly),
built an ext3 filesystem on it, configured quotas as usual and it worked.
Kernel version is 2.4.19-pre7aa2, with no other patches applied.

I have just tried to setup ext2 quotas over a LVM version 1.0.3 Logical
Volume, and is working as expected. Kernel version here is
2.4.19-pre6aa1, and quota package is version 3.04-1. The procedure to
set quotas is exactly as done with filesystems on normal disk
partitions. In fact, the greatest problem for me has been a quota format
mismatch between "quotacheck", "quotaon" and compiled kernel.

Hope it helps.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)