[linux-lvm] How to best use LVM?

pll+lvm at lanminds.com pll+lvm at lanminds.com
Wed Aug 14 14:51:02 UTC 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:37:54 EDT
Andres Salomon said:

>The debian packages are pretty out of date (since 2.4.19 took _forever_),
>I'll be uploading new ones tonight.

Oh. okay.  I guess I can wait until tomorrow to play then :)

Thanks.

>/proc/misc should definitely not be empty; is the device mapper driver
>loaded in the kernel?  (lsmod |grep dm, if it's compiled as a module).

Well, that's the interesting part.  I'm not using modules, so I don't
know how to tell.  Here are the steps I took to build the
device-mapper:

	1. cd device-mapper.0.96.03
	2. ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
	3. ( Using 2.4.18, no applicaple patches that I could find )

	   cd /usr/src/linux && configure/build/install new kernel

	   cd device-mapper.0.96.03/kernel
	   make symlinks

	4. cd .. (back to top directory
	   make
	   make install

	5. cp scripts/devmap_mknod.sh /etc/init.d
	   update-rc.d devmap_mknod.sh defaults 10

	6. reboot using new kernel

	7. test using dmsetup:

		# dmsetup version
		Library version:   0.96.03-ioctl (2002-06-27)
		Couldn't open device-mapper control device
		Command failed

Which I've since traced to the fact that /proc/misc is empty, and
therefore contains no minor number to use for the creation of
/dev/device_mapper/control.

I guess the point I'm a little confused about is this.  What is
/proc/misc ?  What's supposed to be in there, and why isn't it :)

I've never heard of /proc/misc before today.  That may be because
it's primarily used with modular kernels and I tend to stay away from
modules, preferring to compile everything directly in.

Thanks!

--

Seeya,
Paul