[linux-lvm] How to best use LVM?

Joe Thornber joe at fib011235813.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 14 15:24:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 03:50:38PM -0400, pll+lvm at lanminds.com wrote:

> In a message dated: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:37:54 EDT
> Andres Salomon said:
>
> >The debian packages are pretty out of date (since 2.4.19 took _forever_),
> >I'll be uploading new ones tonight.
>
> Oh. okay.  I guess I can wait until tomorrow to play then :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> >/proc/misc should definitely not be empty; is the device mapper driver
> >loaded in the kernel?  (lsmod |grep dm, if it's compiled as a module).
>
> Well, that's the interesting part.  I'm not using modules, so I don't
> know how to tell.  Here are the steps I took to build the
> device-mapper:

Once you've patched the kernel go into make (x|menu)config and check
that the device-mapper option is available and selected under the
'Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)'.  If it's not available you
haven't patched the kernel correctly.  Also I would encourage you to
upgrade to a 2.4.19 kernel.

- Joe