[linux-lvm] accidently formatted a physical volume...

Adam McDaniel adamm at array.org
Mon Aug 19 15:50:02 UTC 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:41:24PM +0200, Anders Widman wrote:

> >> Or, is there any way that I can fix/restore the formatted drive?
>
> > Not at the *NIX level. If the data were SERIOUSLY valuable
> > it can be recovered by physical means. Short of that I'd
> > say it's time to reach for your tapes...

The unfortunate thing was that timing couldn't have been worse. The
last backup I made before the incident would only contain a fraction
of the info that I actually need. Partly my fault, I know, but being
able to restore the drive would be the goal.

> Are you sure? The data should be there in the co-worker did not make a
> "full" (zeroing blocks) format. Is it not possible to restore the LVM
> headers (or what it is called) on that drive?

I do know that it was a straight simple format, literally
'mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdb', so I know the info is still there. My experience
in this is rather limited, so I'm not sure of the best way to fish it
out.

--
Adam McDaniel
Array Networks