[linux-lvm] accidently formatted a physical volume...

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Mon Aug 19 15:58:02 UTC 2002

Start by using dd or something to get an original image of the drive
before anything else bad is done to it.  Copy it off to another drive,
copy to tape.  Personally, I'd copy it to a big filesystem (if it
supports bigger then 2 GB), and see if you can mount it loopback.  I
know I read on the LKML a guy mounted several filesytems that way that
were considerablely larger then 2GB.

With the backup, when something goes wrong you can always start over
fresh without worring about the undoing your original attempts.

I'd imagine that doing a vgcfgrestore to the device, followed by
mounting the filesystem without fsck'ing it will get you some data.
Running fsck on it afterwards and see what else you can get.  Do *_NOT_*
try that without a backup of the original media.  Your big problem is
that you're going to have superblocks and inode tables written right in
the middle of your drive other then that, everything should be on the
disk right where you left it.

I had a friend who just lost an ext2 drive due to a power surge the
other day, fscking it was destorying the filesystem, just mounting it
and running tar got us 90% of the data.  Fortuantely the other 10% came
off a RH CD so it was no problem.

	Thanks,
		Kirby