[linux-lvm] To compile

William Blunn bill at tao-group.com
Mon Feb 25 03:13:02 UTC 2002

Terje Kvernes <terjekv at math.uio.no> wrote:
> "William Blunn" <bill at tao-group.com> writes:
> > Er, you might find that it is a good idea to put your LVM shared
> > library in /lib.
> >
> > Otherwise you might have difficulting starting up the system if /usr
> > or /usr/local is on an LVM volume.
>
>   right.  this also goes for vgscan and vgchange.  now, site-specific
>   software around where I work gets tossed to /site.  which of course
>   is either a partition or a volume.  either way, doing:
>
> [root at host /sbin]# ln -s /site/sbin/vgchange && ln -s /site/sbin/vgscan
>
>   isn't as bright as one first thinks.
>
>   of course, when testing for volumegroups only / has been mounted, in
>   case any other mountpoints are logical volumes.  *sigh*

I set up:

   /opt/lvm-1.0.1             in the (small) root FS
   /usr/local/opt/lvm-1.0.1   in the /usr filesystem (on LVM)

I put the LVM tools at /opt/lvm-1.0.1/sbin, and symlinked them from /sbin.

I put the manpages in /usr/local/opt/lvm-1.0.1/man, and symlinked them
from /usr/local/man.

I put the runtime/shared-object (.so) library directly in /lib.

I put the development/static (.a) library in
/usr/local/opt/lvm-1.0.1/lib, and symlinked it from /usr/local/lib.

After all this, I wondered how difficult it would be to make a
Debian/Potato package out of it.

Bill