[linux-lvm] A way to bypass LVM and extract the raw data off?

IpSo ipso at snappymail.ca
Tue Jan 8 20:27:01 UTC 2002

Well, it doesn't look like there is a way I can recover my LVM volume groups and
whatnot. (See below) But I know theres a fully intact ReiserFS of 17315mb on
/dev/hda6. "gpart" scanned my disk and came up with this:

Possible extended partition at offset(249mb)
   Possible partition(Linux LVM physical volume), size(17315mb), offset(2280mb)
      type: 142(0x8E)(Linux LVM physical volume)
      size: 17315mb #s(35461377) s(4670127-40131503)
      chs:  (1023/15/63)-(1023/15/63)d (4633/1/1)-(39812/15/63)r
      hex:  00 0F FF FF 8E 0F FF FF AF 42 47 00 01 19 1D 02

End scan.

Is there some way to "dd" the data off onto another partition and access it
there? Because I know the filesystem was only on a single PV, and a single LV,
and the problems occured when trying to extend that LV, but I never got to the
point of extending the filesystem itself with reiser_resize. You would think I
could somehow using the offsets given above create a new partition to copy the
data to, run a reiserfsck and rebuild the file system so I can access the data?
Has anyone tryed something along these lines before?

Quoting IpSo <ipso at snappymail.ca>:

> [root at ipso uuid_fixer]# ./uuid_fixer /dev/hda6 /dev/hdc
> /dev/hdc - pv_read(): PV identifier invalid
>
> [root at ipso uuid_fixer]# ./uuid_fixer /dev/hda6 /dev/hdc1
> Error: number of PVs passed in does not match number of PVs in /dev/hdc1's
> VG
>        2 PVs were passed in and 3 were expected.
>
> It seems whichever combination I use, it either wants 2 or 3 PVs.
>
> Quoting Andreas Dilger <adilger at turbolabs.com>:
>
> > On Jan 06, 2002  11:06 -0800, IpSo wrote:
> > > A follow up to this, I downloaded uuid_fixer to see if it would help,
> > here's
> > > what I tried:
> > >
> > > [root at ipso uuid_fixer]# ./uuid_fixer /dev/hda6
> > > Error: number of PVs passed in does not match number of PVs in
> /dev/hda6's
> > VG
> > >        1 PVs were passed in and 2 were expected.
> > >

> > > [root at ipso uuid_fixer]# ./uuid_fixer /dev/hda6 /dev/hdb6
> > > Error: number of PVs passed in does not match number of PVs in
> /dev/hdb6's
> > VG
> > >        2 PVs were passed in and 3 were expected.
> > >
> > > Hrmm, so it must be looking for the partition I deleted on /dev/hdc. :(
> > > re-created the partition just to see:
> > >
> > > [root at ipso uuid_fixer]# ./uuid_fixer /dev/hda6 /dev/hdb6 /dev/hdc1
> > > Error: number of PVs passed in does not match number of PVs in
> /dev/hda6's
> > VG
> > >        3 PVs were passed in and 2 were expected.
> >
> > Try hda6 and hdc, since this is what you had in the VG before you shut
> > down.
> >
> > Cheers, Andreas
> > --
> > Andreas Dilger