[linux-lvm] ERROR "parameter error" setting up snapshot copy on write exception table

Emanuel Quass emanuel.quass at temic.com
Mon Jan 21 05:47:02 UTC 2002

Hi

I rebooted the server several times (and tried several kernel-versions) but
every time I got the same error!
The problem is (afaik see) the snapshot. I think if I can get rid of the
snapshot everything will work all right. But I am not able to remove the
snapshot because the Volumegroup is not active ......

Is there a way to remove the snapshot (the volumegroup can't be made active)
without touching the other logical volumes ?

Am Montag, 21. Januar 2002 11:32 schrieb Marc Grimme:
> Last time I had this problem, I just rebooted the machine and everything
> was back to normal.
> But I don't know the reason was and anything.
> It just worked after a reboot. Sounds a bit like Windows :-).
>
> --On Sonntag, Januar 20, 2002 18:41:13 +0100 Emanuel Quass
>
> <emanuel.quass at temic.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I had a very strange error on our Linux-server! Maybe someone can help me
> > because it's our production server. I rebooted the Server and afterwards
> > I had an error like:
> >
> > vgchange -- ERROR "parameter error" setting up snapshot copy on write
> > exception table for "/dev/datenvg/mailsnap"
> >
> > I use a 2.4.17 kernel with lvm-1.0.1 I just upgraded from 2.4.9 with "LVM
> > version 1.0.1-rc2(30/08/2001)" (thats whats written inside the module)
> >
> > There are 2 logical columes inside "/dev/datenvg" 1. daten 2. mail and of
> > the second lv I made a snapshot. After the reboot ..... (see above)
> >
> > Is there a chance of getting the data back?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > 	Emanuel Quass

Conti TEMIC microelectronic GmbH

Emanuel Quass