[linux-lvm] ERROR "parameter error" setting up snapshot copy on write exception table

Marc Grimme grimme at atix.de
Mon Jan 21 06:11:01 UTC 2002

Hi

--On Montag, Januar 21, 2002 12:46:56 +0100 Emanuel Quass
<emanuel.quass at temic.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I rebooted the server several times (and tried several kernel-versions)
> but  every time I got the same error!
> The problem is (afaik see) the snapshot. I think if I can get rid of the
> snapshot everything will work all right. But I am not able to remove the
> snapshot because the Volumegroup is not active ......
I had exactly the same problem and the same thoughts but I really don't
know how to delete a snapshot of an inactive volumegroup and I couldn't
find any program that was provided and did the job. Perhaps you can recover
some old configurations without snapshot with vgcfgrestore and stuff. But
I'm not really sure if this works cause the problem went away after I
rebooted the machine and was never to be seen again. And I was happy and
didn't touch this system again.

And if vgcfgrestore helps, what if you create a snapshot and then some
other vgs and lvs and then your snapshot gets corrupt like this, can
vgcfgrestore help here also?

So I would say I'm out. :-(

> Is there a way to remove the snapshot (the volumegroup can't be made
> active)  without touching the other logical volumes ?
Would be really interesting to know the answer.