[linux-lvm] Removing PV with disk errors from VG

Heinz J . Mauelshagen mauelshagen at sistina.com
Tue Mar 12 07:35:03 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 04:22:56PM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:
>

> > well that's a bug in 1.0.3 which will be fixed in 1.0.4.
> > If you wnat to try it at your own risk, check out LVM1 CVS and
> > try "pvmove -i" again.
> >
> > 1.0.4 will hopefully be released this week :)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --
> >

> Hmmm, I had a problem with pv move over the weekend as well.. I was
> replacing a hard disk for more space. and when I tried pvmove it worked
> for 2 small partitions, but for a larger data area it failed to move
> (because of a read error). Interestingly I had not got any error messages
> in dmsg about bad seeks.
>
> Not knowing about pvmove -i I feel back to my old system for using tar in
> a pipe to move data, not quick not pretty but it works ;-)
>
> So fortunately it looks like it was a virgin sector.
>
> My question is.... This pvmove bug does it make "read error" problems in
> which  case the disk might be ok, or does it just not handle read errors
> gracefully?

It displays "read errors" because the bug lead to llseek errors which
where handed backup to an internal read function call.

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

> Yes I was using 1.0.3.
>
> The Disk was an 46G IBM (From the ICL (newer glass platter C**p)) so I am
> willing to beleive it was a disk problem (I have space on the shelf so
> it can sit with its friends) it which case I will not use the disk agian.
>
> I already lost 2 IBM disks from the older range and have another one
> which when I have the money I will be swapping out... Agh! I hate IBM. Yup
> i know I can RMA it, but whats the point if the new one might have
> problems too, my data is worth more than that.
>
> Does make for fun at computer fairs though,
>
> Me:   I need a new harddisk...
> Them: IBM make the best ones.
> (The specs are great and are dead fast)
> Me:   IBM disks live fast and die fast, what do you have in a non IBM
>       disk.
>
> PS anyone else know of other brands I should avoid buying?
>
> James

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446