[linux-lvm] LVM 2

Andres Salomon dilinger at mp3revolution.net
Wed May 29 10:51:03 UTC 2002

I'll second this.  I've had all my data on LVM2 for months w/out
problems; I've started moving production machines over to lvm2 w/out
mishap (other than redhat's broken init system, but that's not lvm's
fault :).  I only use basic (linear) volume management; no snapshotting,
striping, etc.

Also note that I'm still using beta2 (w/ 2.4.18-ac3).

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 03:18:23PM +0100, Joe Thornber wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 02:16:44PM +0200, Anders Widman wrote:
> >
> >    How  stable  is LVM 2
>
> The releases tend to be very stable, cvs obviously is a little less
> so.  The core functionality (ie. simple LVs) hasn't changed for months
> - current development is focusing on pvmove and the new metadata
> format.
>
> The snapshot facility was completed recently (including writeable
> snapshots).  Judging from the bug reports on the list they seem to be
> more stable than 1.1rc2, as well as being faster (see
> http://people.sistina.com/~thornber/snap_performance.html for a pretty
> graph).
>
> Personally I've had all my data on LVM2 since November without mishap.

[...]