[linux-lvm] file system larger than lv

Heinz J . Mauelshagen mauelshagen at sistina.com
Fri Nov 15 07:00:02 UTC 2002

Brian,

yes, at the end of the day you can't prevent people with the necessary
credentials from shooting themselves in the foot anyways.
That occasionally includes me.
At least at ~4pm in the morning ;)

Because LVM is a block layer service transparent to filesystems or any other
arbitrary block device user, it should just cover the necessary block device
functionality.

Putting additional overloading block/filesystem layer services not necessarily
needed there into the kernel is unlikely to be accepted either IMO.

Controlling LVM block device and filesystem changes in userspace with an
(e2)fsadm tool is a "helping hand" for the unexperienced, not limiting
the experienced user.
This is our prefered way to go.

--

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446