[linux-lvm] file system larger than lv

lvm at interlinx.bc.ca lvm at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Nov 15 07:50:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:54:24PM +0100, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:

> Brian,

Hi Heinz.

> yes, at the end of the day you can't prevent people with the necessary
> credentials from shooting themselves in the foot anyways.
> That occasionally includes me.
> At least at ~4pm in the morning ;)

I hear ya.  Me too.  :-)

> Because LVM is a block layer service transparent to filesystems or any other
> arbitrary block device user, it should just cover the necessary block device
> functionality.

I don't disagree with that.

> Putting additional overloading block/filesystem layer services not necessarily
> needed there into the kernel is unlikely to be accepted either IMO.

No.  No.  Not in the kernel.  I mean the user space tools can simply
check what data is on the block device (i.e. look for a known
signature of given filesystems) and see if it can determine if it is
indeed a filesystem.

> Controlling LVM block device and filesystem changes in userspace with an
> (e2)fsadm tool is a "helping hand" for the unexperienced, not limiting
> the experienced user.
> This is our prefered way to go.

That is fair enough.  And I don't care that strongly about this issue,
but just thought of how many tools (in their "interactive mode"
anyway) stop and ask a user before they are about to do something
potentially disasterous.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell