[linux-lvm] LVM for a Database

Joseph Kezar jkezar at doc.state.vt.us
Tue Nov 26 14:29:01 UTC 2002

We are in the process of building a database on a 4 processor 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM Dell 6650.

I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to use LVM for our raw data storage.  We have a RAID array with 8x36GB drives in it.  Should I do a raid 1+0(mirror 4 disks, and span them to get one logical volume)?

If so this leaves me a /dev/sdb.  Or would I get better performance if I mirror 1 + 5, 2 + 6, 3 + 7, 4+ 8 to give me /dev/sd[b-e].
Is it possible to figure out where the center of our spindles are?  So I can arrange for the heads to spend little time seeking?

Any perfomance hints would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Joe K.