[linux-lvm] software mirroring

Scott Savarese scott at scottsavarese.com
Tue Sep 10 08:40:01 UTC 2002

Jon Bendtsen said:
> I have tried it, and it works fine.

OK...I need massive help... I have 2 drives hda and hdc. hda contains 1
partition, the original installation. hdc has two partitions. One for
/boot and one for / (and all subdirectories). I then created to raid1's
with hdc as the primary drive and hda as a "failed-disk". This way I can
always boot off of hda in case it doesn't work. /dev/md0 sits on hdc1 and
contains /boot and /dev/md1 sits on hdc2.

I then pvcreated /dev/md1 and created a root LV and then copied my
installation. I modified lilo.conf and fstab and ran lilo (I'll include my
lilo.conf at the end).

My theory is that I can change my BIOS setting to boot off /dev/hdc and
then once I am sure it works, change hda entries in my raiddtab to
"raid-disk" and hot add them. Rerun lilo and then I should be able to boot
off of hda.In theory.

I can run lilo. It understands my raid disks (lilo is version 22.2, my
kernel 2.4.18 and I am using lvm 1.0.5). However once I reboot and switch
the BIOS, I now get L 80 80 80...when I try and boot of /dev/hdc. It still
works fine booting off of hda.

Can you help?
Thanks,
Scott