[linux-lvm] [Fwd: [support] (no subject)]

José Luis Domingo López linux-lvm at 24x7linux.com
Fri Sep 13 13:23:32 UTC 2002

On Friday, 13 September 2002, at 12:46:27 -0500,
Laurie E. Miller wrote:

> It appears to use 4 129 gb harddrives, an extent size of 8 mb is
> required.
>
> Does this mean that any small file will be saved using 8 mb of disk
> space, or will small files be evenly distributed over one 8 mb extent?

As far as I know space consumed by a file is a filesystem thing, not a
block-device thing. An extent seems to only affect waste of space when
creating/resizing Logical Volumes, because a LV must be an integer number
of PE (or a LV must be PE-alligned ;-)

So on each LV you will waste up to a PE plus LVM metadata. It depends on
the filesystem, namely on its block-size.

Hope this helps.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)