[linux-lvm] RE: extending LVM for school project

Kai-Min Sung k at kaisung.com
Fri Apr 11 02:29:01 UTC 2003

Thanks for the slew of suggestions from everyone. Right now, my partner
and I are thinking of a writing a distributed LVM. We're not too sure of
the details yet but we imagine it'd be cool to create a cluster of
storage nodes, each running a distributed LVM that's able to use the
combined network storage and create volumes out of them. For reliability
and high-availability, we'd want to use some form of RAID-ing across
storage nodes so that if any node in the cluster went down, the volume
data would remain intact. I did a google search for distributed volume
managers and found one company, ScaleEight that has created their own
proprietary distributed volume manager. Is anyone familiar with this
company? There's a whitepaper available on their website but I'm having
problems registering for it. Anyone happen to have copy of it?

Thanks,
-Kai