[linux-lvm] extending LVM for school project

Sharad Tiwari sharad.tiwari at wipro.com
Tue Apr 15 08:02:01 UTC 2003

Hi Zonk,

Though it would have been a luxury to have a fully shared configuration, but Veritas already has a solution for such an environment … so the kind of work I am taking up is rather new I believe …

This is all that my broad plan is …

*	The Clustered Volume Manager will use single writer / multiple reader policy.
*	The Clustered Volume Manager will support hybrid configuration.
*	The Clustered Volume Manager will be designed so as to allow multiple nodes to access the shared VM objects simultaneously.
*	Each node in the cluster shall own a subset of shared VM objects.
*	A node is allowed to write only onto its VM objects. Other nodes can only read from them.
*	In the event of configuration change, the new configuration will be made available to other nodes present in the cluster.
*	The Clustered Volume Manger will entirely depend upon HA for cluster membership services and failover mechanism.
*	In case of node failure, Clustered Volume Manager ensures failover of the shared VM objects to the surviving nodes, provided the VM objects are accessible from the surviving nodes.

So is this in sync with the kind of environment you have ...

Thanks,
Sharad