[linux-lvm] Totally confused

Stuart Felenstein stuart4m at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 06:13:01 UTC 2003

I thought I understood LVM and set it up correctly on
my /dev/hda3.  Somethings is wrong though.  Here is
the output from lvdisplay:

LV Name              /dev/Volume00/videos
VG Name              Volume00
LV Write Access      read/write
LV Status            available
LV#                  1
#open                1
LV Size              68.67 GB
Current LE           17579
Allocated LE         17579
Allocation           next free
Read ahead sectors   1024
Block device         58:0

After the LV was created I did
mkfs ext3 -m 0 -T largefile /dev/Volume00/videos

Oddities (to me), I try to cd /dev/Volume00/videos - I
get a no directory.  cd to /dev/Volume00 is
acccessible and can be written to.
I assumed that i was going to have a videos partition
with 68.67 GB available.  It looks like I have about
10 megs or something like that as 5 minutes of mpgeg
gave me a "device out of space".

This is lvm 1.08 , straight from kernel 2.4.23
builtin.

Am I just not doing something correct here?

Thanks
Stuart