[linux-lvm] Totally confused

Ken Fuchs kfuchs at winternet.com
Wed Dec 31 10:11:02 UTC 2003

Stuart Felenstein wrote:

>I thought I understood LVM and set it up correctly on
>my /dev/hda3.  Somethings is wrong though.  Here is
>the output from lvdisplay:

>LV Name              /dev/Volume00/videos
>VG Name              Volume00
>LV Write Access      read/write
>LV Status            available
>LV#                  1
>#open                1
>LV Size              68.67 GB
>Current LE           17579
>Allocated LE         17579
>Allocation           next free
>Read ahead sectors   1024
>Block device         58:0

Output from other LVM display utilities might be useful.
The -v option will provide more information from many
LVM commands.

>After the LV was created I did
>mkfs ext3 -m 0 -T largefile /dev/Volume00/videos

You probably meant "mkfs.ext3" rather than "mkfs ext3".

>Oddities (to me), I try to cd /dev/Volume00/videos - I
>get a no directory.  cd to /dev/Volume00 is
>acccessible and can be written to.
>I assumed that i was going to have a videos partition
>with 68.67 GB available.  It looks like I have about
>10 megs or something like that as 5 minutes of mpgeg
>gave me a "device out of space".

The output from "mount" and "df -k" might be helpful.

>This is lvm 1.08 , straight from kernel 2.4.23
>builtin.

>Am I just not doing something correct here?

Could you go into more detail about the commands
(such as lvcreate) and options you used?

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>