[linux-lvm] LVM writes on raw disk of ATA RAID Mirror

Thomas Gebhardt gebhardt at HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE
Tue Jan 14 03:36:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

just installed a 2.4.20 Linux box (Debian woody) with a Promise
FastTrak 100TX2 ATA Raid (2 mirrored disk). I used lvm (1.0.4)
to create Physical Volumes on /dev/ataraid/d0px (x=1,2), configured
a volume group, logical volumes and installed some software.
Everything seems to work fine. But after a reboot I noticed that lvm
used to write to the raw disk partitions (/dev/hdex (x=1,2)) that
constituted one of the mirrors of the ATA Raid /dev/ataraid/d0px.
(vgdisplay, lvdisplay ... displayed /dev/hdex rather than /dev/ataraid/..)
Obviously vgscan had dedected the lvm signature on the raw disk
partititions. Needless to say that it results in a big mess when
lvm writes to one of the mirrored disks behind the back of
the raid controller.

Is there an obvious way to install lvm in such a way that
it does use /dev/ataraid/ in favor of the raw disks?

Thanks for any hint, Thomas