[linux-lvm] How to reduce a physical volume in a volume group.

Frederic Tronel Frederic.Tronel at inrialpes.fr
Tue Jan 14 09:20:02 UTC 2003

Hi list,

I have the following problem.
During the setup of a Linux box (Debian testing) I created
two partitions /dev/sda1 mounted on /boot (ext2) and
/dev/sda2 (Linux LVM). I have created all my logical volumes
in a single volume group that only contains the pv /dev/sda2.
Now I need to install FreeBSD. I would like to split /dev/sda2
into /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3 that will contain a regular FreeBSD
FFS.

A pvdisplay on /dev/sda2 indicates that I have plenty of room located
at the end of /dev/sda2 (free physical extends).
However I did not find any indication on how to perform this operation
neither in the HOWTO, nor on the mailing-list.

I can create a bootable CD with all the necessary utilities to perform
the job, since I imagine it cannot be performed on active vg.

Cheers,

Frederic.