[linux-lvm] LVM Disaster Recovery

kozmik at toolkitmail.com kozmik at toolkitmail.com
Thu Jun 19 08:22:04 UTC 2003

Hello, I am a long time user, first time poster and strong supporter of LVM,
but on occasion I hit a wall with something and need some assistance so I don’t
further damage what is already having problems. It’s my understanding that an
attempt to extend the size of this LV was underway when the power went out to
this server.  Now the following appears when doing a vgscan.  Prior to the
extension attempt, this volume was working great. I have also attached the
results of vgscan –d.  Please advise me on the best route to take in recovering
this LV without losing any if not all the data.  I have run into this before
but was unsuccessful in recovery due to my ignorance of any recovery
procedures.  Also let me know additional information is required.

vgscan

vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)

vgscan -- found active volume group "vg1"

vgscan -- only found 29800 of 35752 LEs for LV /dev/vg2/vg2_lv (0)

vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" can't get data
of volume group "vg2" from physical volume(s)

vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created

vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume groups

Thanks