[linux-lvm] [Q] patch to overcome 2TB block device limit?

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez linux-lvm at 24x7linux.com
Fri May 9 14:42:01 UTC 2003

On Friday, 09 May 2003, at 18:29:46 +0900,
A. S. wrote:

> Is there any kernel patches to exceed the 2TB kernel block device limit ?
> I want to be able to create about single 5TB LV.

Yes, and it has been in mainline 2.5.x kernels for a while now. Do a
"make menuconfig" and under "Block devices" the last option is
"[ ] Support for Large Block Devices". From the help:

  x CONFIG_LBD:                                                             x
  x                                                                         x
  x Say Y here if you want to attach large (bigger than 2TB) discs to       x
  x your machine, or if you want to have a raid or loopback device          x
  x bigger than 2TB.  Otherwise say N.                                      x

I don't know if it has been backported to 2.4.x, but seems reasonable.

Regards,

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.5.69)