[linux-lvm] What are they talking about?

Kevin Corry kevcorry at us.ibm.com
Wed May 21 14:46:10 UTC 2003

(Once more - with feeling this time!)

Device-Mapper is the new kernel driver in 2.5. It replaced the LVM1 kernel
driver from 2.4. This driver provides generic "volume management"
capabilities. Specifically, it can create devices which simply redirect I/O
to other underlying devices. Such a device could be thought of as a "logical
volume".

LVM2 and EVMS are both actively developed projects that utilize the
Device-Mapper driver for creating their "logical volumes". Neither LVM2 nor
EVMS are (or will be) "in the kernel". All of the real complexity of volume
management is done in user-space. It is far more sensible to ask a question
like "will LVM2 and/or EVMS be included in the next release of Red Hat or
Debian?" And the next major release of these distros may not correspond
exactly with the release of the 2.6.0 kernel.

To prevent reposting all of the gory details, please see a very similar
previous discussion at:
and

--
Kevin Corry