[linux-lvm] One PV destroyed - now the whole VG isn't working anymore

Holger Parplies wopp at planungsteam-eb.de
Wed Nov 5 08:18:01 UTC 2003

> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:25:38PM +0100, Sebastian Beneke wrote:
> > Now /dev/hde
> > was destroyed by"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/diskname bs=1k count=1"

Do I understand correctly that only the first 1K of the disk was
overwritten? Of the PV, of the disk (/dev/hde), of something else ... ?

If it's the first 1K of /dev/hde, you've probably only lost the
partition table, which you could re-create with fdisk, presuming you
remember exactly how your disk was partitioned (i.e. where your PV was).
Remember to set the type of the partition correctly (8e - Linux LVM).

I'm not sure what the beginning of a PV contains and whether there's a
simple way to restore that ...

Hope that helps,

Holger