[linux-lvm] One PV destroyed - now the whole VG isn't working anymore

Sebastian Beneke sebastian at beneke-it.de
Wed Nov 5 10:14:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:16:44 +0100
Holger Parplies <wopp at planungsteam-eb.de> wrote:

> > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:25:38PM +0100, Sebastian Beneke wrote:
> > > Now /dev/hde
> > > was destroyed by"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/diskname bs=1k count=1"
>
> Do I understand correctly that only the first 1K of the disk was
> overwritten? Of the PV, of the disk (/dev/hde), of something else
> ... ?
>
> If it's the first 1K of /dev/hde, you've probably only lost the
> partition table, which you could re-create with fdisk, presuming you
> remember exactly how your disk was partitioned (i.e. where your PV
> was). Remember to set the type of the partition correctly (8e -
> Linux LVM).

Yes, absolutely. I thought about it. Both harddisks are ok. Only the
PT of the second disk must be destroyed. The best: there weren't any
partitions on it, I just createt a LVM-PV and then created an ext3
filesystem. I think all the data should be there, but I don't know how
to repair it. On the second disk I created a new VG called "Backup"
(thinking it was another disk). What I have to do is: Get the old PT
with the old LVM informations on it back. But how? I am an absolute
LVM-Newbie. This information should not be more than some bytes,
right?

Anyone any ideas here?