[linux-lvm] Instability with 2.6, recovering (meta)data?

Toad toad at amphibian.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 10 12:41:01 UTC 2003

This is 100% reproducible on my current system.
root at amphibian:~# lvremove /dev/vg-big/slowtemp
Do you really want to remove active logical volume "slowtemp"? [y/n]: y
  Logical volume "slowtemp" successfully removed
root at amphibian:~# vgdisplay -v
    Finding all volume groups
    Finding volume group "vg-big"
  invalid lv in extent map
  Couldn't fill logical volume maps.
  Volume group "vg-big" doesn't exist

root at amphibian:~# vgcfgrestore vg-big -M1 -f /etc/lvm/archive/vg-big_00003.vg
  Restored volume group vg-big
root at amphibian:~# vgdisplay
[ worked perfectly ]

After restoring the old metadata, /dev/vg-big/slowtemp still doesn't
exist, but when I reboot, it comes back.

If there is anything within reason I can do to assist your debugging of
this otherwise excellent software please contact me.

Matthew J Toseland - toad at amphibian.dyndns.org