[linux-lvm] removing a bad HD

Rickard Olsson richie at webhackande.se
Wed Oct 8 02:24:02 UTC 2003

Trond Michelsen wrote:

> Thanks, but is it really necessary to copy the PE at all? It's broken,
> and I don't care about that 8MB of data. Isn't it possible to just
> reassign the LE that's mapped to the broken PE to a completely empty PE
> at some other disk?

It's possible that Heinz or one of the other gurus know of a way, but I
don't. If pvmove -i can't get past the read errors... Theoretically, you
could be able to hexedit the LVM metadata but I really don't want to
read about that in the news afterwards, if you know what I mean.

> At the moment I'm a bit tempted to just set up a new VG, and migrate
> data from the old VG file by file, disk by disk.

If you have a spare disk to start the new VG with, that's probably a
good idea for several reasons (fresh filesystem, fresh metadata, the
ability to check disks offline before adding them to the VG and so on).

I did this too since my old extents were rapidly becoming too small. New
LVs default to a max size of 2TB, when I originally created mine I
believe they were 250GB unless specified otherwise.

    / Rickard Olsson,IT-Konsult/
   / Telefon: +46 70 635 01 42/
  / http://www.webhackande.se/