[linux-lvm] removing a bad HD

Trond Michelsen mike at crusaders.no
Wed Oct 8 11:17:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:22:26AM +0200, Rickard Olsson wrote:
>> At the moment I'm a bit tempted to just set up a new VG, and migrate
>> data from the old VG file by file, disk by disk.
> If you have a spare disk to start the new VG with, that's probably a
> good idea for several reasons (fresh filesystem, fresh metadata, the
> ability to check disks offline before adding them to the VG and so on).

> I did this too since my old extents were rapidly becoming too small. New
> LVs default to a max size of 2TB, when I originally created mine I
> believe they were 250GB unless specified otherwise.

Yeah, it occured to me that this was probably the best opportunity I had
to increase the PE-size. So I set it to 32MB, giving me a maximum
LV-size of 2TB.

BTW: What are the effects of choosing a large PE-size? Apart from
getting larger LV's, of course? Does it effect performance or memory
usage at all?

--
Trond Michelsen