[linux-lvm] Can't build devmapper for LVM2 on Red Hat 9 - kernel 2.4.20-8

Wojtek wojciech at btclick.com
Mon Oct 27 06:18:01 UTC 2003

I tried it few times using sketchy instructions in INSTALL file; it's not clear how to apply patches

Do I apply them first from patches/common then from patches?
I tried make apply-patches it did only two from patches (devmapper & vfat) after changing Makefile (didn't like '-8' on my kernel dir)
It didn't seem to touch those in common.
Then I tried doing them one by one according to README in common ie:

patch -d /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8 -p1 -i /....../......patch
It spitted out various messages about patch applied ..... -R (n):
I tried replying yes it sort of worked

So I went to make menuconfig and was able to see devmapper and mirroring option
Next make dep

I'm getting no rule to make target mempool.c

I tried other permutations where I get further along by hacking Makefile in /root/devmapper-1.00.05/kernel directory but the whole process seems to be really messy.
I realize that it could be due to my inexperience but was wondering if somebody has gone thru' with that install (incl LVM2) and can share his/her experience with me.

I appreciate any help you can provide
Wojtek