[linux-lvm] LVM in a cluster

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Oct 27 10:32:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 13:04, Dan Bar Dov wrote:
> Is it possible to define PVs/VGs/LVs on one system, and then using lvscan
> discover them all on another connected to the same storage?
>
> Is it then possible to serve those LVs further to other computers, say via
> NFS, and then what about coherency between the two LVM servers?
>
> We are wotking on a storage gateway - iscsi from one side, FC on the other.
> We are thinking on adding LVM functionality in there, but I have a feeling
> it'll make HA impossible.
>
> Dan

I don't believe the above is officially supported, but it has been done
by some people on the Linux-HA list.  I've heard the Sistina will be
offering a commercial version of LVM 2 that does officially supports
clustered LVM.

Also, EVMS 2.x, a opensource alternative to LVM from IBM specifically
supports the above if you use the Linux-HA clustering solution, and
should be extendable to other clustering environments.

Both LVM 2 and EVMS 2 use DM as their core kernel component, so most of
the difference is in user space (which is totally different).  I believe
EVMS also offers a couple of DM targets that are not supported by LVM 2.

FYI: Whose iscsi implementation are you using.  Is it GPL?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer