[linux-lvm] Devices seen twice - how does LVM handle ?

Markus Baertschi markus at markus.org
Wed Sep 10 13:24:01 UTC 2003

Rainer,

I'm using fiber cards coming with a load-balancing driver and a SAN-Storage
box (IBM FastT 700) box. Unfortunately the storage-controlles got reconfigured
to accommodate more devices on other ports. This broke the configuration for me.
As it happens I found out a couple of months later when the new devices were
in production (We reboot out servers only when necessary). I can not fix the
configuration immediately and am trying to find out how to survive best
until I can fix the real problem it.

At the moment I'm pulling a fiber to have only one path as the installed LVM
version (0.9beta ?) just crashes if is sees two devices pointing to the
same disk.
The most recent version (1.0.7) does not have this problem. It allows me
the keep both fibers connected. But I don't know how it handles this situation
and started this discussion to find out.

Markus

--
  Markus Baertschi             Phone: ++41 (21) 807 1677
  Bas du Rossé 14b             Fax  : ++41 (21) 807 1678
  CH-1163, Etoy                Email: markus at markus.org
  Switzerland                  Homepage: www.markus.org