[linux-lvm] problem with pvcreate

Marek Jan xjan at informatics.muni.cz
Fri Jan 9 09:53:01 UTC 2004

Hi,
I want run LVM with 3 devices, one is lokal disk part. an other two are
/dev/nda and /dev/ndb, block device created with enbd.y
I have problem with pvcreat on disk part. /dev/hda3. Typo of /dev/hda3 is
0x8e (Linux LVM). When I run pvcreate, it looks ok:

# pvcreate -v /dev/hda3
pvcreate -- locking logical volume manager
pvcreate -- checking physical volume name "/dev/hda3"
pvcreate -- getting physical volume size
pvcreate -- checking maximum physical volume size
pvcreate -- checking partition type
pvcreate -- creating new physical volume
pvcreate -- setting up physical volume for /dev/hda3 with 148531824
sectors
pvcreate -- writing physical volume data to disk "/dev/hda3"
pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/hda3" successfully created
pvcreate -- unlocking logical volume manager

Now, I want pvdisplay:

# pvdisplay /dev/hda3
pvdisplay -- ERROR "pv_read(): pv_create_name_from_kdev_t" no VALID
physical volume "/dev/hda3"

Everyone know where the problem is ?

Thank a lot, Marek Jan

PS sorry, my english is really bad :-)