[linux-lvm] JFS or XFS

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Thu Jan 15 18:46:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 18:22, neuron wrote:
> reiserfs, guaranteed personally.  Especially on a mail server.

I agree, reiserfs was tuned for handling lots of small files.  Sounds
perfect for a mail server.

> I've used jfs, I crashed it twice on purpose (network swap, then disable network card), both times jfs failed to boot.  (this is because it trusts it's own journal, which a lot of people love about it, both times for me it was wrong..)
> Personally I haven't had any problems with XFS though, but I haven't used it that much.

If you go with XFS, stay away from anything older than 1.3.1.

The 1.2 and prior releases had this really nice feature that they
ignored the sync command (and fsync I think).

The end result is that with a power outage or kernel lockup you could
lose lots of work.  I had one failure on a lightly used machine that had
a whole days activities still sitting in the OS disk cache when the
kernel locked up.

This is fixed in 1.3.1,

Greg