[linux-lvm] duplicate PV error with 2.6.1 and lvm2

David Powers david at grayskies.net
Fri Jan 30 11:56:01 UTC 2004

I am attempting to create a simple volume on a soft raid 1 device
(/dev/md1) on a gentoo linux box running 2.6.1.  The pvcreate seems to
go fine but when I then attempt to create the volume group I get an odd
error about duplicate PV's.  It seems as if the code is sometimes
treating the device as a single device and sometimes seeing the
underlying disks.  Any help would be appreciated.

disk1 root # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
      244179840 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 hdg3[1] hde3[0]
      76035520 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>
disk1 root # pvcreate /dev/md1
  Physical volume "/dev/md1" successfully created
disk1 root # vgcreate filestore /dev/md1
  Found duplicate PV 5c5olnVSu9cpsAmJ6trmPopx1Hv4ZGv4: using /dev/sdb1
not /dev/sda1
  Found duplicate PV 5c5olnVSu9cpsAmJ6trmPopx1Hv4ZGv4: using /dev/sdb1
not /dev/sda1
  Found duplicate PV 5c5olnVSu9cpsAmJ6trmPopx1Hv4ZGv4: using /dev/sdb1
not /dev/sda1
  Volume group "filestore" successfully created

-David Powers