[linux-lvm] pvmove - Can't expand LV: Mirror support missing from kernel?

Magnus Månsson ganja at 0x63.nu
Thu Jul 1 13:54:41 UTC 2004

Hi,
I am having some trouble doing pvmove.

I did reduce the fs and resize the lv with these commands:
e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/vg00-data && resize2fs /dev/mapper/vg00-data
551000
lvresize -L 552000M /dev/vg00/data

So now pvdisplay says something like:
part    total   free    alloc
hdb1    1786    0       1786
hde1    1786    0       1786
hdf1    1786    0       1786
hdg1    2680    0       2680
hdh1    1190    603     587
sda1    3724    3724    0

Since I want to remove hdb1 and hde1 I tried to pvmove hdb1 with:
pvmove /dev/hdb1
My output follows:
thor:~# pvmove /dev/hdb1
  Can't expand LV: Mirror support missing from kernel?
  ABORTING: Temporary mirror activation failed.  Run pvmove --abort.
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
  Couldn't load device 'vg00-pvmove0'.
thor:~# pvmove --abort
  Can't expand LV: Mirror support missing from kernel?
  Suspension of temporary mirror LV failed
  Can't expand LV: Mirror support missing from kernel?

I am running a clean 2.6.7-kernel, with device mapper, dm-crypt and raid
(including all raidlevels) as modules, the only thing I do not have
under RAID and LVM is Multipath I/O support.

Can anyone please tell me why I am getting this problem and how to solve
it?

Do CC me, I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks in advance
--
Magnus Månsson <ganja at 0x63.nu>