[linux-lvm] pvmove - Can't expand LV: Mirror support missing fromkernel?

Steve Wray steve.wray at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jul 2 22:09:20 UTC 2004

> Magnus Månsson wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am having some trouble doing pvmove.

Me too.

I'm afraid that the only response I've ever got to this is
'its not supported in LVM2'.

Some people have suggested using a kernel with the latest dm
patches, which I tried and which failed.

About the only answer I have is to have enough spare disk to move
everything over and remove the lv's residing on those pv's,
reorganise them and then move everything back.

I think that the unpleasent answer here is that LVM2 is *not*
ready for the enterprise user... sadly I've already deployed it.

[snip]
> I am running a clean 2.6.7-kernel, with device mapper,
> dm-crypt and raid (including all raidlevels) as modules, the only thing I do not
have
> under RAID and LVM is Multipath I/O support.

Yup, likewise; I was there about a month ago and it still doesn't
work...

> Can anyone please tell me why I am getting this problem and
> how to solve it?

I strongly doubt that you'll get any help out of the list on this,
but if someone does send you a fix which works, off-list, *please*
send it to me too; I have two failing disks which I need to decommission.

Thanks!

(I'm hoping against hope that there really is a fix for this,
and if theres anyone who would know, they'd be on this list.
So if noone on this list comes up with a fix, I'd submit that
LVM2 should absolutely NOT be used on production systems (until there
*is* a fix: LVM is great in principle)).