[linux-lvm] How to extend a root LVM volume?

Pascal Garcia dld dld.pascal.garcia at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 17 20:37:50 UTC 2004

Hello,
Sorry but I will not solve your problem.
The problem I see is that you must declare the volume and "import the
pvs" but I am not sure you will be, afterwards able to reboot.

I just want to tell about what I did not to have that problem. It does
not help for your problem.
They are file systems that can be resized (at least extended) without
unmounting the partition.
ext2 and ext3 partitions, as far as I know, can not. reiserfs partition
can, but I believe there are few others. Reiserfs is the one I use.
This is the script I use to extend my root partition by 500M when needed
! I just make sure my important data is saved before I do that, just in
case ...

lvextend -L +500M /dev/rootvg/1
resize_reiserfs /dev/rootvg/1

No need to reboot, to stop to start rescue disk, ... That is done!

Easy no!

Regards
Pascal Garcia